Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Another Burrito and a Jar of Mayonnaise

The recent weather has been incredible.

Almost every day this month has been perfect convertible weather. If this is the result of global warming, then we ought to keep burning more melted dinosaurs. The drive home on Pacific Coast Highway yesterday was glorious:


This warm, California winter is the kind of weather that totally puts me in the mood for adventure, just getting out there and getting my hiking shoes dirty. And the adventuring in turn gets me very hungry, in the mood for a hearty meal.

So I decided to eat another burrito. Yes, one challenge burrito right after another.

I did this to practice my eating technique with burritos and hopefully develop my palate for Mexican cuisine. Learning to enjoy more styles of cooking is always wonderful and I don’t really consider the B3 burrito challenge to be proper representation of Mexican cuisine because of its abundant use of processed cheese sauce.

The burrito challenge I would attempt is a relatively new one in Anaheim at the 195 Downtown Grill. My buddy Aaron wanted to try it out too, so we did the challenge simultaneously. We ended up with these two gorgeous burritos:


The rules are as simple as it gets. You have to finish eating a five pound burrito in half an hour. If you do this, it’s free. Otherwise, it’s a $15 bill. I really appreciated the simple elegance of this challenge and even more so, how awesome it tasted.

It’s a wet burrito that's served with sides of salsa, covered with melted cheese, stuffed full of grilled meat, beans, rice and sour cream. The amazing part is the variety of grilled meats inside. You get grilled chicken, carne asada and carnitas cooked in a way that you can actually taste and enjoy each distinct flavor. You can tell you're eating grilled meat, even if you’re it eating quickly.

So far, only one guy has successfully completed this challenge. He finished just under the 30 minute time limit. As usual, Aaron and I would do this challenge as fast as we could in the messy, bare-handed eating style that we've grown accustomed to. It went down quickly, the texture from of the chunks of meat made it a little tough to swallow but the delicious flavor definitely helped. It’s always fun to share the eating challenge experience with others, especially the victory part:


I finished in nine minutes and Aaron finished just under fifteen minutes. We both agreed the remaining bit of burrito at the end was the most difficult part of the challenge but we were both very satisfied with the taste. The guys drinking at the bar were very encouraging as was the co-owner Andrew who arrived right before we started. The environment is really half of the eating challenge experience and the 195 Downtown Grill didn't disappoint. Apparently they host great parties here too.

Here’s the information for this venue:

195 Downtown Grill
195 W Center Street Promenade
Anaheim, CA 92805
phone: (714) 999-8699
http://195bar.com

And as this month comes to a close, with the lack of actual eating competitions, I decided to film another eating stunt. This one is pretty popular on YouTube and it surprised me that so many people didn’t enjoy the experience. What’s so bad about eating mayonnaise? It’s a delicious, stable emulsion of oil, egg yolk and acid.

It’s my condiment of choice, I absolutely love mayonnaise.


My buddy’s wife gets grossed out when I use mayonnaise at their dinner parties. I’m dedicating this one to her, my mayonnaise eating video:


That’s 32 ounces of delicious condiment sex. I hope you guys enjoyed that one because I certainly did.

I also re-edited my first eating stunt. It’s me eating over six pounds worth of BLT ingredients:


That one was not as fun, but at least it involved bacon. Bacon makes life so wonderful to live. Much like how perfect weather does. I should eat some bacon while the great weather lasts, that would be awesome.

1 comment:

  1. Hi!
    My name is Rich Kane, and I'm the Editor of Laguna Beach Patch. (Here's our site: lagunabeach.patch.com). I would LOVE to do an interview with you. ASAP, providing you still live in Laguna Beach. Please?
    Email me at rich.kane@patch.com or call me at 949-287-9344....hope to hear from you soon!
    -- Rich

    ReplyDelete