Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Godzilla Roll

What is it about a sunny Christmas day that just makes you want to go out and get drunk?

Like absolutely shit faced, I'm going to be regretting this in the morning wasted. It's probably the egg nog, or maybe all the time off you get from your usual routine. All that time you get to ponder on what is truly meaningful in your life.

For me, it's Scotch. A whole bunch of it.

And a few pounds of rare prime rib for good measure.

That pretty much summarizes the holiday for me. It was a pleasant, great drink & food with a few random twists to keep it fresh. Oh Christmas, you never fail to surprise me.

Also, the Christmas tree at Fashion Island in Newport Beach was gorgeous this year:


But down to business, all this festive gluttony comes at the cost of taking a break from the joys of competitive eating. Pondering all that with Scotch in hand, I came to the conclusion that I should do one more eating event for 2010.

So 2010, this one's for you.

My quest led me to Sushi Delight in Lomita, California for their Godzilla Roll challenge. A giant sushi roll weighing over four pounds, filled with delicious things from the sea and smothered in three types of dressing. 

They give you an hour to finish this one.

If you succeed, you get the meal for free, a t-shirt and a spot on the wall of fame. Failure yields you a bill for $35, left overs in a box and a spot on the wall of shame. There is a less than 4% success rate with this one, so I figured I'd end my 2010 with some challenging fun.


There was also the matter of the record my buddy Xanadu set in October at 11 minutes flat. She truly amazes me.

It was packed when I walked in, not the best conditions for competitive eating but at least business was good. I had to wait a bit since the chefs were incredibly busy, but that just added to my hunger. I haven't done sushi since I set the men's record a Sushilicious a couple months ago and I was definitely looking forward to this one.

My Godzilla Roll arrived in a big, white plate with sauces drizzled artistically over the massive slices of the sushi roll. My usual food excitement kicked in and I thoroughly enjoyed diving into this one. It tasted much like a tempura or crunchy roll, with hints of sweetness and creaminess from the various sauces.

It was truly a pleasure eating through this one, and I regret not taking the time to properly savor the taste. I'd like to return one day to eat another one at a casual pace.

Like Christmas, the enjoyment was over far too quickly. I ended up finishing in 7:20, beating the prior record of 11:00.


I wanted to eat another one, but I had to be somewhere after. Though I did have some celebratory dessert with happy hour Kirin and green tea mochi. Some nice sweetness and bitterness to create a sense of umami after the sushi roll.

Here's the video of the challenge:


There you go 2010, one last one for the road. Off to 2011 for bigger and better adventures.

Keep it awesome in the new year guys.



No comments:

Post a Comment